Thursday, July 26, 2012

Commuting, part deux


So as you know, I have a new job.  The commute is nearly the same, just 1.5 miles longer.  I had been in Burlington, but am now in Bedford.  I live southwest of Worcester.  Mass pike to 128 to route 3.  I know, you’re jealous of those clogged highways!  It’s 51 miles each way, but I was able to keep the same schedule I had before – 7 to 3:30 or 4.  Traffic is pretty light in the morning, and is manageable in the afternoon.  Last week, it seemed NO ONE was on vacation.  It took 1.5 to nearly 2 hours to get home.  This week, it takes 50 minutes and there isn’t much traffic at all.  Currently, I drive into the sunrise, which might sound awesome, and I guess it is, but that’s 38 miles (east on the pike) of driving directly into the blazing sun.  Oddly enough, I smile when there’s a cloudy morning.  Less solar slowdowns, no need for smudgy sun glasses and that moment when I’m almost in the building at work and realize I still have prescription sunglasses on.

How do I deal with the boredom of commuting?  Well, I’m pretty used to it by now.  I leave home at 6 and get to work at 7.  I rarely realize how long I’ve actually been in the car because I’ve done it for so long and try not to measure it by time, but instead by what milestones I’ve gone by.  On the pike, these are usually exits or rest stops.  On 95/128, it’s turns in the road and construction progress.  I’m only one route 3 for 2 miles, and by then I’m in the work zone.  Once you’ve gotten used to subconsciously recognizing milestones, you start to acknowledge when and where typical slowdowns occur.  Usually, these are by exits the closer to Boston you get, but there are still some that seem random.  You slowly begin to accept these areas and prepare for them, backing off of the person in front of you or switching lanes if you’re getting off soon.  You get used to it so it doesn’t stress you out…it’s all part of the experience and the routine. 

I used to listen to playlists on my mp3 player or iPhone.  That can get kind of isolating.  Now, I listen to the morning shows and know what times they go to commercial and who isn’t at a commercial so I can switch over.  There are some stations that have great little skits or features I wait for.  I’m starting to branch out, as sometimes the radio personalities get annoying.  Today, I happened to tune in as Mayor Manino  called in to talk about Chik-Fil-A.  That was cool, and who can resist his Boston charm?

Anyways, commuting isn’t bad.  Even if you’re driving over 500 miles a week, it doesn’t really feel it.  If you end up having to commute, don’t fret!

No comments:

Post a Comment